Serve drinks around the pool with a poolside bar made from treated timber.
The bar we are making has a roof section but you can choose to leave this out. See the photos of both kinds to see which is most suitable for you.
YOU WILL NEED
- CCA or creosote treated timber depending on the application (See Hazard Classifications)
- 7 / 3,0m x 100 x 125 diameter poles (columns A, B, C and D)
- 5 / 3,0m x 100 - 125 diameter poles (beams E and F)
- 1 / 3,3 x 76 x 50 rail (rails to poles C and D)
- 2/ 2,4m x 76 x 50 rail (rails to pole A)
- 1/ 2,4m x 76 x 50 rail (rails to pole A and B)
- 35 / 1,2m x 76 x 25 cladding members (front)
- 15 / 1,8m x 76 x 25 cladding members (back)
- 75 / 3,6m x 20 - 40 diameter laths (roof)
- 1 / 2,4m x 600 x 40 laminated shelf (counter)
- 1 / 2,4m x 228 x 38 shelf (undercounter shelf)
- 3 / 1,2m x 228 x 38 shelves (back wall)
- 2 kg 50mm galvanised nails
- 13 / 250 x 12mm diameter threaded rods, nuts and washers
- 6 universal steel / wood shelf brackets
Mark holes to be dug +500mm deep for columns A, B, C and D as indicated.
Vary depth of holes to create suitable rear sloping of roof.
Erect poles A, B, C and D with butt ends in holes and compact with soil, keeping all poles plumb while compacting. (See How to Plant a Pole)
Drill 12mm diameter holes in columns A, B, C and D at indicated heights.
Push rods through the holes and drill 12mm diameter holes in beams F at indicated positions. Fit beams over rods and tighten.
Repeat same procedures for beam E.
Nail 3,6m laths to beams F, making sure you butt them closely.
COUNTER SHELF AND CLADDING
Measure +1m from ground level on columns A and B and nail 1 / 2,4m x 76 x 50 rail to columns A and B at front top and one at front bottom, +100mm from ground level.
Nail rails, 500mm cut from a 2,4m x 76 x 50 rail to columns A and B at same heights as in (1).
Lay 2,4m x 600 x 40 mm counter top on rails and nail fix it to the rails.
Lay 2,4m x 228 x 38 mm shelf on lower rails and nail fix it to the rails.
Nail fix 1,2m x 76 x 25 cladding members to the top and bottom rails as discussed in A and B. Make sure it butts up neatly under counter top.
Lay 2,4m x 175 - 200mm diameter pole in front to serve as foot rest.
REAR CLADDING AND SHELVES
Nail three rails, cut from a 3,3m x 76 x 50 rail 1m each at top, middle and bottom as indicated to columns C and D.
Nail fix 1,8m x 76 x 25mm cladding members to these rails, making sure the top and bottom ends are flush and neat.
Secure suitable universal shelf brackets to the cladding with wood screws to form shelves, at suitable heights. Secure 1,2m x 228 x 38mm shelves to brackets.